Thursday, September 2, 2010

Fresh as the morning, hard as our heads

John 7:37-39

it is a paradox that that which gives greatest joy is so hard to find. It is also a paradox that the greatest obstacle to finding that joy we desire is... ourselves. Weird... Cool...

John equates the promise of living water with the Holy Spirit. This same spirit is elsewhere called a consuming fire, a mighty wind, a companion, or an Advocate. The Spirit manifests in many ways, as we need her, and as God knows we need her.

There is much happening in my daily life. Sometimes it can seem hard to connect with the Holy Spirit. Perhaps it would help to just stop moving and sense what is around me. The Spirit manifests itself as all sorts of things as it will. If I stop to look around me, perhaps I can better perceive the Spirit nudging me kindly on, or getting sassy with me to do what's right. It is a gift. We got to be aware of it.

2 comments: