Sunday, August 15, 2010

Haven't I done enough?

Matthew 5:43-6:4

How many times I have heard that phrase: "I just spent (amount of time) with Jesus, I think I deserve some me time." Ticks me off to no end...! As if God just wants a certain level of commitment, not our entire hearts!

Today's verses combine a section on loving our enemies (the natural counterpart to the last post) and giving to the poor in secret. Strange combination it may seem, but it occurred to me while reading that these topics both address the fact that it is never "enough" when we serve and love God. We are called to be better than those around us (loving our enemies) and to serve so that those around us have no idea we are doing it (helping the needy). Its not about giving in to our desire to hate, but to increase love everywhere. Its not about doing good for attention and praise, but about increasing love everywhere. We are called to go above all other expectations when it comes to God. Its never enough because its never about fulfilling obligations and always about a true life of love. When people fall in love they frequently say they want to spend ALL their time with their loved one. Well, why not Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment